Using an Apple Watch to use Spotify is not a new phenomenon. However, this usage was previously limited to simply adjusting the volume of the content playing on your iPhone, playing and pausing songs, and switching between songs.
The recent changes for the Apple watch bring new features and now allows users to listen to content offline by downloading podcasts and music.
To access this feature you will definitely have to be a Premium subscriber to use this feature, however, the facilities provided make it worth the while, as this feature is only available in Apple Music and Deezer, a less popular app.
Requirements to Use Spotify On Apple Watch to Play Music
- A Series 3 or later Apple Watch with a watchOS 6.0 or ideally watchOS 7.1 or later.
- A Wifi or data connection
- The latest version of Spotify downloaded on your iPhone
- A premium subscription on your Spotify account. This is essential for you to be able to listen to music through Apple Watch.
- A pair of Bluetooth earphones for you to be able to listen to music through the phone.
If you want to listen to music through your earphones, look no further. This article will walk you through all the steps necessary for the same, from installing Spotify on your Apple watch to quick fixes if you seem to encounter any system glitches while trying to listen to music.
How to use Spotify on Apple Watch to play music
Install Spotify on Apple Watch
- On your, iPhone click on the Watch app to open it.
- Click on the option titled My Watch
- Go to the section titled Installed on Apple Watch, look for the option named Spotify.
- Install the Spotify app on Apple Watch
- If you do not find it under the section Install on Apple Watch, click the section titled Available Apps and tap Install to Spotify.
- Once this is done, whenever you open the Spotify app on your iPhone it will automatically launch the same on your Apple Watch.
- For the alternative, tap on the digital crown displayed on the Apple Watch and click on Spotify to open it.
In doing so, you have now successfully installed Spotify on your Apple Watch. Now the next step will be to stream content using it.
Use your Apple Watch to stream content from Spotify
- Open the Spotify app on your Apple Watch.
- In doing so, the main screen of the app will be displayed that features the normal controls for music.
- Three buttons in the middle, one which allows you to play or pause music, the second to skip content forward, and the third, to skip content back.
- On swiping left you will be able to view and browse your playlists.
- On swiping right you will be able to play and browse through individual songs.
- Next, you will have to connect your Bluetooth earphones to listen to music. You can do this by opening the settings of your watch and clicking on the Bluetooth option.
Please note that any content played on your Apple Watch will also be playing on your iPhone too.
Control playback of your Spotify content using Spotify playback
Now that you have connected your Apple watch to your iPhone and can stream music, you can use the Spotify connect feature by Spotify to control playback on your watch. To do this, read the instructions below.
- Open the Spotify app on your Apple Watch.
- Remain on the default screen that opens up.
- Click on the Spotify Connect option displayed on the bottom right of the screen.
- In doing so, you can choose which device you want to stream the content to. You can connect wireless speakers, gaming consoles, Smart TVs, your iPhone, and so on.
- Once you have connected, you can stream with ease any content of your desire from your apple watch.
Play Spotify content offline through Apple watch
All the instructions listed above allow you to play music from your watch through your iPhone, however, if you wish to use only your Apple watch to stream content offline, this feature is now available.
Please note that this is an offline feature so it can be used even when you are not connected to the network, or in instances of travel and if your phone is not with you or is out of battery or is otherwise unavailable to use, however, this is only available for Spotify Premium users.
To play Spotify content offline through your Apple watch follow the instructions written below.
- Open the Spotify app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Look for the content you want to download and listen to offline, this can be an album, a playlist, or a podcast.
- Click on the three dots that will be displayed on top of the said playlist or album. This is usually found below the cover art.
- Choose the option titled Download to Apple Watch.
- When a small green arrow shows up next to the content, you will know that it has been downloaded.
- Once the download occurs, the content is now available on your Apple Watch in your Spotify Library
If you do not see the Download to Apple Watch option ensure the following
- That you have a premium subscription to Spotify.
- That you have the current updated version of Spotify.
- That your watch had the latest WatchOS version installed.
Use Siri to control Spotify
You can also use Siri to control Spotify on your Apple Watch. This is pretty simple, all you have to say is “Hey, Siri” and then continue with a request to play the album, playlist, song, album, or artist you want from your watch.
This voice command feature can also be used for the following functions
- To increase or decrease the volume of media playing.
- Play or pause the content that is being played.
- Skip the media that is currently playing
- Ask Siri what is ‘currently playing’
- Like songs
Please note that after every command you need to end the phrase with “on Spotify” so that Siri knows what to access.
Quick Fixes in case of Glitches
If you have followed all the steps and still have troubles, and Spotify does not work on your Apple Watch, check the options listed below.
- Check the internet connection on your Apple watch and ensure that it is working.
- If nothing seems to work, force quit and restart Spotify on your Apple Watch.
- Reboot the Apple watch and then relaunch the Spotify app.
- Ensure that you have the most recent version available for both your Spotify app and the watchOS and update if necessary.
- If it still does not work uninstall the app from both phone and Apple Watch and reinstall.
- Open the settings on your iPhone and Apple Watch and reset the network settings.
Those were the steps and solutions to play Spotify on your Apple Watch. There are various features available at your disposal, just ensure you have the latest version of both watchOS and Spotify, are a premium member, and have an internet connection.
Start by installing Spotify on your Apple Watch, use Spotify Connect to play your content across devices, and download content on your Apple Watch that you want to access without your phone. You can control playback, by the display on the Apple Watch or using Siri.