Upon setting up your Macbook for the first time, the system automatically assigns it a name with an automated pattern such as Jerry’s Macbook. Some people do not care about their changing their mac’s name while the rest of them like you are wondering how to change MacBook’s name.
Although it is not tricky to change MacBook’s name, still some users do not know the process which sounds funny. Therefore, we have come up with a tutorial on how to change the mac name. Make sure you follow up the article to the end and take references from the images as well.
How To Change Macbook Name
Changing the MacBook name is not a difficult task but finding the system setting which lets you do it is difficult. In the process below, we have mentioned the necessary instructions
Here are the steps:
- First of all, click on system preferences.
- The system preference screen will appear. You will find the “sharing option” there, click on it.
- The text field “computer name” contains the default mac user name, delete it using the backspace key.
That’s it. Your MacBook sharing name will now be set to the one that you have entered during the instructions. The custom computer name helps in finding out the device among the list of another device that is connected to the same network.
If you want to change the username of your Macbook, proceed to the next section of the article.
How to change the username on Macbook?
In the previous section of the article, we learned how to change the computer name of your MacBook. As aforementioned, the computer name isn’t the username, therefore, it would show up only when you are connected to a network such as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
In order to change the MacBook name, follow the instructions below:
- The very first step is to click on the system preferences icon and open it up on the system setting screen.
- Now select the users and groups option.
- On the bottom left of the screen, you will notice a lock symbol, click on it.
- In the next step, you will be asked to enter your MacBook’s password to unlock the button.
- Now hold down the control key on your keyboard and select the username to form the list which is on the left side of the screen.
- Now select the advanced options, click inside the full name field, remove the old name and enter the one that you want to keep.
This is how you change MacBook name. The process seems simple but finding the exact settings to do so might be complicated for some users. Furthermore, changing the Mac username won’t be changing your iPhone’s username even if you are using the same account on both the devices.
Identifying a computer becomes difficult when too many devices are connected to the same network. Therefore, it is recommended to set a custom computer name as well as a custom MacBook name.
In this article, we have discussed how to change the MacBook name, and how to change the MacBook computer name. We have also added images in case you have trouble understanding the steps. If there’s still something that’s bugging you, comment down.