Want to block unwanted emails on iPhone, iPad or Mac? Here is our guide.
Most or all of the emails you receive do not end up in your spam folder. While these emails do not harm you, they evade spam detection even though you have no use for them.
You can always block these unwanted emails if you are tired of receiving notifications from a particular account. Find out how you can do this in the following section.
On both the iPhone and Mac, the Mail app has a block option.
As a result, no third-party software will be required to do so. You can better manage your emails this way, as you will only be able to see those that matter most to you. Furthermore, you’ll also find it much easier to search your inbox for specific emails.
How to block unwanted emails on Apple Mail app for iPhone and iPad?
Here is how you can use the Apple mail application to block unwanted emails for iPhone and iPad:
- Launch the Mail application.
- You can block an email address by opening any email from it.
- The sender’s name will appear at the top.
- Click on the blue name/email address.
- Select Block this Contact to stop receiving messages from that address.
How to block unwanted emails on Apple mail for Mac?
Using Mac’s Mail app, you can block an email address by setting up its rules. The process is as simple as adding an email account to Mail. Simply follow these steps:
- On the left side of the screen, click Mail → Preference.
- On the right side, click on Rules.
- From the sidebar, select Add Rule.
- If you want to block an email address, write it in the empty field beside the description field, for example: “Blocked emailer”.
- Select Perform the following actions from the dropdown menu. By selecting “Move Message” in the first box and “Junk” in the box immediately to the right of “to mailbox”, you will be able to accomplish the following:”
- Click the OK button.
- Next, click Apply.
What you need to do in order to block an email address in Gmail?
Using the Gmail web browser or mobile app, you can block the email ID.
Using the Gmail app on iOS, you can block a sender by following these steps:
- To block an email address, tap the email it was sent from.
- The three horizontal dots in the top right corner need to be tapped.
- Block the sender by selecting Block.
Using the Gmail app on Mac lets you block a sender by following these steps:
- Go to your browser and launch Gmail.
- To block a message, select it from the sender.
- The three vertical dots are located to the right.
- To block an email address, select Block “X”.
How to Block unwanted emails in AOL’s iOS, Mac, and Android apps?
Only AOL’s desktop app provides the option to stop unwanted email addresses.
While there is no straightforward way to block emails from iOS, you can still mark them as spam if they come from someone you know. As a result, subsequent messages from that address are automatically filed in the spam folder.
AOL iOS app for marking email addresses as spammers
- You can find your inbox by opening the AOL app.
- To block an address, open the message it sent.
- The three horizontal dots are located at the lower-right corner.
- Mark the message as spam.
AOL’s web browser can be used to block an email address
- At the top left, click the Options dropdown menu.
- Go to the Mail Settings page.
- Tap Block Senders from the left sidebar.
- Under Block specific senders, enter their email address.
- You can add blocked addresses by tapping the + icon.
Note: Adding multiple emails is not a problem.
- On the left-hand side, tap Save Settings.
Is it possible to block a contact in the iPhone Outlook App?
As of the time of writing, there is no option to block email addresses in the Microsoft Outlook iOS app. The browser can however be used to block unwanted contacts. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click on the Settings icon in the upper right corner of your browser or desktop app.
- View all Outlook settings by selecting View all Outlook settings.
- Click on Junk email.
- To block certain senders and domains, click the +Add button.
Type the address you want to block in the appropriate field.
- On your keyboard, click the return key (on Mac) or Enter key (on Windows) to add the email address to the blocked list.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
Note: To unlist the blocked email address from the blocked emails list, click the delete icon to the left of the address.
Using the iPhone settings, you can block unwanted email senders
By using the Settings app, you can block someone’s email address, as well as their phone number and SMS message. This method, however, works only with emails from contacts in your iPhone. As a result, it comes in handy if you want to prevent someone from contacting you through any of those media.
In this case, you might want to double check that the person’s email address is also listed on their contact card. Should the email address not be listed, you will only be blocking their phone number.
To block email addresses with this feature on your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Go to the iPhone settings.
- Go to Mail by scrolling down.
- Tap Blocked by swiping down.
- Click Add New.
- Choose the contact you want to block. You’re done!
Note: Sliding the contact left + tapping Unblock unlocks it.
How does your iPhone respond to blocked emails?
Your primary inbox contains all previous emails sent from the blocked email address until you delete them. Changes you make on one device or another are synchronized.
However, you will not receive new messages from it anymore because your email provider will send it to your spam folder or prevent you from receiving it. Even if you block someone, they might not realize that you did so.
However, they may receive a return email that informs them their email was not delivered or ended up in the spam folder.
Blocking emails on Mac with Clean Email
Several inbox cleaning applications are available to block unwanted email messages, and ultimately, may facilitate better email management.
What’s the point of partnering with another company when you can do it on your own with Clean Email? You can manage your mailbox more efficiently with this inbox cleaner and email organizer for Mac.
Having said that, here are the steps you can take to block unwanted emails on your Mac with Clean Email:
- Navigate to the Inbox or All Mail smart view in the app dashboard.
- Search mail by entering “@domain.com” without the quotation marks.
- Click the “Select All” button.
- By clicking on it, you can block the activity.
To optimize your email needs, Clean Email also offers the following features:
- Unsubscriber: Removes unwanted emails and newsletters from your inbox.
- Read Later: You can receive an email every day with an overview of messages in your ‘Read Later’ folder.
- Quick Clean: Allows you to quickly wipe out your Inbox by combining your emails across your mailbox into a single screen with simple actions to apply.
- Smart Views: Instead of looking at individual emails, you can use rules and filters to segment your inbox.
- Auto Clean: Removing, archiving, transferring, or labeling emails according to your rules.
You can also rest assured that your private data is secure since Clean Email takes security and privacy very seriously; your data will never be shared, sold, sold, analyzed, anonymized, or otherwise used for anything other than its essential functionality.
Will blocking help in every situation?
There are some things that you can’t block conventionally if you know how to block emails on Mac. When you block someone, their previous messages are not deleted. Additionally, you are not able to block a specific person; you can only block their email address. Thus, they can always hire a new one or create one to spam you.
You can also block emails from a particular address in most email apps on Mac. Spam can’t be stopped by blocking emails from specific senders. The situation isn’t hopeless, however.
In addition to sending unsubscribe petitions to unwanted mailing lists on your behalf, Clean Email’s Unsubscriber disables sending lists and senders that refuse to comply or collaborate, allowing you to unsubscribe from unwanted email lists that lack an Unsubscribe link.
That’s it for our iPhone blocking guide!
Although I explained how to block an email address on an iPhone, the procedure is most likely the same for Android devices, with some slight differences. Blocking unwanted private emails is usually the most sensible solution. Instead of blocking, consider unsubscribing from a company or website mailing list if the email is from them.
Did this guide help you complete your task? Would you like us to create any other iPhone or Apple product-specific guides? Let us know below.
Frequently Asked Questions – Blocking Emails on Mac
Q. On my Mac, how can I block unwanted emails?
Ans: If you have a Mac, there are different steps you can take to block unwanted emails. It is generally possible to block an unwanted sender by going to your inbox, selecting a message from the sender, selecting the “Block [sender’s name]” option.
Q. What is the process for blocking an email address permanently?
Ans: Depending on the type of email address you have, blocking it also differs. It is usually possible to block unwanted emails permanently on Mac by going to your inbox, typing “@domain.com” in the Search mail field without quotes, selecting all emails, and clicking Block.
Q. What is the best way to block someone on a Mac?
Ans: Creating a rule that deletes those messages is all it will take to block emails on Mac. When this happens, unwanted emails will be deleted immediately before they even reach your inbox.
Q. Apple, why am I still receiving emails from blocked senders?
Ans: The sender of one email may not have been blocked, as spammers may send emails using multiple email accounts. You can stop all communication with a specific sender by blocking their root email address.