Facebook’s messenger is a convenient way to chat with friends, join audio and video calls, share stories and play in-built games. The social media giant has now launched a separate desktop app for messenger and it is now available to download from the Microsoft Store and Mac App Store.
This makes it easier to connect with your friends as you don’t have to open your browser and use the little chat window for communicating which is not very convenient.
“Now more than ever, people are using technology to stay in touch with the people they care about, even when physically apart. Over the past month, we saw more than a 100% increase in people using their desktop browser for audio and video calling on Messenger. Now with apps for macOS and Windows, the best of Messenger is coming to desktop, including unlimited and free group video calls,” Stan Chudnovsky, VP of Messenger at Facebook penned down in a blog post.
Here are some highlights:
- Group video calls on a larger screen. Stay in touch with family and friends, join a workout, or host a virtual happy hour.
- Easy to connect. You don’t need to know someone’s email or phone number since all your Facebook friends have Messenger.
- Multitasking. Your chats are easily accessible, and you can pop in and out of the app while doing other things on your computer.
- Notifications. You can receive notifications for new messages, so you can quickly find the chat you’re looking for. But you’re in control — you can choose to mute and snooze notifications.
- Chats sync across mobile and desktop. You’ll never miss a call or message no matter what device you’re using.
- Everything you love about Messenger on a bigger screen. Including Dark Mode and GIFs.
This new Facebook product for the desktop will give a tough competition to the famous Zoom, a cloud conferencing app that has seen a significant increase in its download due to the lockdown around the world. It now has over 200 million active users within a few weeks which is definitely a competition to Facebook.
You can also host official meetings on the messenger app, share files, audio, pictures, gifs, stickers. Also, you don’t have to log in to your Facebook account to use messenger, just launch the desktop app and you are good to go.
There is also a feature to receive the notification so that you never miss any important text or call, this can also be muted from the settings for an individual contact or group.
Lastly, you can use the dark mode feature on the desktop app too, in case you want to use messenger at night in low light.